‘Roselily’ is a collective term for a unique series of double-flowering lilies with exceptionally positive characteristics. First of all, these Roselily varieties do not have the heavily spicy scent so characteristic of some lilies. Secondly, their flowers produce no pollen – once again, an important advantage over traditional lilies. And thirdly, Roselily varieties are especially attractive. As their flowers open, what they most resemble is a rose. No wonder this series was named for two flowers: the rose and the lily. The natural beauty of two flowers combined into one!
The origin of Roselily, back to the mid-1990s
The Roselily series was developed by De Looff Lily Innovation. This company run by the brothers Tonny, Martin and Johan de Looff was originally engaged in lily forcing. Always looking for new varieties, they often visited plant breeders. This inspired them to start breeding themselves: in 1993 they launched their own plant breeding programme. A few years later, the brothers discovered a spontaneous mutation: a freak of nature in the form of a double-flowering lily and Roselily was born!
- 1997 – Found by De Looff Innovation
- 2001 – Discovery of double flower seedlings
- 2004 – First series double flowering Oriental
- 2008 – Start De Looff Innovation & Bulb growers association Roselilies
- 2010 – Roselily® registered as a brand
- 2011 – Start production of Roselily Belonica ® and Roselily Fabiola ®
- 2013 – Introducing seven more varieties
- 2014 – Increasing marketing Roselily
- 2015 – Roselily Collection available at Flora Holland